Thursday, March 22, 2012

How to Register a Website with Google


In this post I am going to give you the information that I used to register my website with the search directories. To be honest when I was looking at Yahoo I was redirected to Bing's website registration page, but once I loaded the information and received verification of the registration I was able to find my site on a Yahoo search. Which reminds me, that if you are building your own site or are having someone else develop it you will need access to the host server where you post the verification of the registration that is on file with the search engines.

You will need to set up a sign in or login if you do not currently use a Google account such as Gmail or a Google profile. Once that is done you can sign into the webmaster tools and add a website that you want listed in the search directories. You will be told that it will take 3 days before the spiders crawl through your website, but that is nothing out of the ordinary, a few years ago Google said it would be 3 weeks before they could get your site indexed and registered. The link that I used was www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

For Bing the registration process is almost identical to Google. If you do not have a windows live account or a hotmail or msn email address you will have to create a user name and password but that is not hard to do. On a side note: Because of all the sites that I am registered with I keep a word document with the site URL and the login and password so that if I forget it or do not visit for a few months I can still get into the site without submitting a change of password request.  So the URL for Bing website registration is:
https://ssl.bing.com/webmaster/SubmitSitePage.aspx Again they will ask you sign up for a webmaster tools account but with an email that is run through any Microsoft system you are automatically included in the tools account. That is good for Xbox Live accounts too.

So now that you can register with the search engines you can start to search for your website and see where you place in the results. Keep in mind however that optimization and online marketing allow the website to rise in the ranks and are beneficial to making the long slow rise to the top of the search pages. Depending on your competition and the number of other websites that are similar to yours you should plan a slow mediocre rise that builds your reputation and helps to keep you on the first page as you work on link building and other online marketing campaigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment